Famous Cream of Cauliflower Soup

I make great soups. I mean like the best soups I have ever eaten. I make an amazing cream of soup series. It is virtually the same recipe for any cream of veggie soup. EXCEPT cream of potato. I have a totally different recipe for that and I will divulge that later.

The inspiration for this soup came from the Outback’s Walkabout Soup, which is like this cream of onion soup that literally makes my mouth salivate. I tried and tried to duplicate this recipe and finally found a great likeness, if not better.

My family loves this recipe and so do I. It’s absolutely DELICIOUS. I guarantee you will make it over and over again. It’s great for holidays. It goes well with a nice hearty meal, or it’s good all by itself with some nice crusty bread and herbed butter (which is insanely easy to make and I will share it at the end of this recipe).

I am going to share with you the recipe as if I were making Cream of Cauliflower soup, because it is my favorite of the cream soup variety.

I would love your feedback, comments, and pictures!

Cream of Cauliflower Soup

1 hearty head of firm cauliflower chopped
1 large onion chopped finely
2-3 cloves of FRESH garlic minced *
1 quart of chicken stock
6 TBSP butter
1 pint heavy cream
1 tsp salt (I eyeball)
½ tsp white pepper (you can use black pepper, I like the white pepper for appearance)
2 tsp cumin (I eyeball)
2 tsp marjoram (I eyeball)
12-14 ounces of white MILD cheddar cheese shredded


Preparation
Chop cauliflower into nickel to quarter sized bites. Use the entire head.
Chop onion and mince garlic.
Melt 2TBSP butter in heavy bottomed 8 quart soup pot. Add cauliflower, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and marjoram and begin to sauté gently until translucent.
In a microwavable 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup add stock and 4 tbsp of butter. Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes until almost boiling.
Add the hot liquid little by little to the sautéing mixture until finished.
Add cream.
Heath through on medium heat till you get a slow bubble. Reduce heat slightly.
Start to grate cheese and add a little, and stir until dissolved. Repeat this until all the cheese is gone.
When cheese is melted, reduce heat to low-medium and continue to stir and cook for maybe 10-15 minutes more. DO NOT LET CHEESE BURN ON BOTTOM ON PAN. USE MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE or you will have a rubber ball consistency with the cheese. Sharp cheddar does not melt well at all. I have actually used Monterey Jack cheese before and it was delicious. So whatever you prefer if fine.

Before serving taste for salt and seasoning.

You can use the same technique for mushroom, celery, broccoli or whatever vegetable based cream soup you prefer.

* I strongly suggest against using any jarred garlic. Its water logged and tastes too woodsy. If I call for garlic I ALWAYS insist you use fresh garlic. If you are hesitant to use fresh garlic because it is hard to cut, here is a trick I learned from my grandmother. Put a little salt on your cutting board before you start to chop. It prevents the garlic from sticking to the knife and cutting board so much. DO NOT OVERSALT. It’s not going to totally eliminate the sticking, but it WILL help



Basil Herbed Butter

1 stick of butter - Room temperature
1 clove garlic minced or ½ tsp garlic powder if you don’t want the potency of fresh
Handful of fresh basil chopped
Dash onion powder
Dash of Goya Adobo with pepper
Dash of paprika


Place ingredients in bowl and mix gently with a spoon. (This is GREAT for garlic bread, but I tend to melt it first and pour it over the bread and spread it around with a pastry brush, I think it seeps into the bread better)

Comments

  1. Rotund Chef,


    Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

    We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for
    Blog Interviewer. We'd
    like to give you the opportunity to
    give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

    It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
    be submitted online here Submit your
    interview
    .

    Best regards,

    Mike Thomas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts