Thursday, August 5, 2010

Quick and Easy Roasted Peppers


This is a new spin on roasted peppers. Obviously the true method is roasting the peppers on an open flame until blackened. That is the old way. And you never mess with a good thing. I can remember peeling peppers with my grandfather until my fingers were blistered. Then it was the recipe to get the most amazing marinated peppers I have ever tasted. I am NOT giving up that recipe. :-) There are some secrets I just won't divulge. But here is a recipe I play around with when company is coming and I want to make a quick roasted pepper to have guests slop on some crusty Italian bread to have as an antipasti before one of my fabulous meals. It's a spin on an old tradition and it tastes great. Try it out.

Ingredients:

4-5 Bell Peppers (I use a combination of red, yellow and green)halved and seeded
2-3 Italian long hots halved and seeded
8 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
4 plum tomatoes seeded and halved
1 onion quartered and separated
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme (don't use dried herbs - I'm so against it)
about 1 tablespoon sugar
good aged balsamic vinegar (invest in it - cheap vinegar is too acidic)
good extra virgin olive oil (invest in it - the darker and greener the better)
sea salt
cracked pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange peppers, garlic, onion and tomatoes on baking sheet. lay thyme springs on top. drizzle olive oil liberally. sprinkle balsamic vinegar over veggies. add salt, pepper and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of sugar over the veggies. (the sugar will help to break down the acidity and to caramelize and aid in the roasting process).

roast for about 40-50 minutes. i like to roast until slightly charred, but if you don't like the charred flavor, then pull them out when tender.

allow to cool. discard the onion, thyme sprigs, tomatoes. remove peppers to a cutting board and slice into strips and place in serving bowl. take the roasted garlic and chop finely. pour all the juice from the roasting pan into the bowl and toss lightly and you are done! :-) serve with a nice crusty Italian bread.

Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

No comments:

Post a Comment