Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Filet Mignon with Pan Sauce, Charred Radichhio, Braised Swiss Chard, Caramelized Mushrooms and Garlic Smashed Potatoes



Here is another recipe to coincide with my most recent video blog. You can watch Part 1 and Part 2 on my YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/rotundchef

Basically, if you are going to splurge on a cut like Filet Mignon, then you might as well cook it perfectly. And ideally, that is medium-rare. I feel the biggest crime in steak cooking is to overcook the meat. Now, I get it you well-doners. I used to be like you. If I saw pink, I thought it was mooing and was brainwashed by the fact that on every steak menu I have ever eaten, it has the "undercooked meat...." warning label. It kind of makes you fear for your life. However, about 8 years ago I was on a date (I used to have them once), and I was too embarrassed to send my steak back because I didn't want the guy to think I was needy (I gave a fuck once). Anyway, that medium steak I had was so delicious, I never went back. Now, I'm a huge fan of medium rare, because I know how wonderful it tastes. So, try it, don't be scared.

Swiss chard, radicchio.....you're probably thinking ummm yeah. Listen, this stuff is so cheap at the produce store, and its SO good for you. You don't have to be a vegetarian to love greens and veggies. You can be a rotund, cursing, loud meat eater like me. Veggies make me feel, "soft". I don't know, maybe it's just me. Anyway you crazy carnivores, get into different veggies and greens. Try an artichoke, some leeks, okra, parsnips.....the list is endless. We live in a world where veggies are available every day in every season. COOK 'EM.

Caramelized mushrooms and garlic smashed potatoes, classic pairing with any kind of steak. And I show you how to make them right.

Trust me, after this meal, you're gonna laugh in the faces of steakhouses all over. YOU CAN DO IT AT HOME!!! I promise you. And if you can't, well, have fun at the Outback kid, there's no hope for you. However, I highly doubt it after my videos and recipes. You'll be a pro. Have faith my young jedi, good meal cook you will.

Ingredients:

Steak
4 - 8 oz. filet mignons
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
2 cloves of garlic (smashed)
small sprig of fresh thyme
2 TBSP unsalted butter

Garlic Smashed Potatoes

2 lbs baby red potatoes, sliced in half, skin on
Kosher
Black pepper
3 cloves of garlic smashed
2-4 TBSP heavy cream
1 stick of unsalted butter
2 green onions sliced

Braised Swiss Chard

1 large bunch of swiss chard, chopped, stalks removed
2 cloves smashed garlic
1/2 tsp hot pepper seeds
2 TBSP olive oil
2-4 TBSP Chicken stock
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper

Caramelized Mushrooms

1 lb button, crimini or porcini mushrooms
1 TBSP unsalted butter
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP beef stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 TBSP fresh chopped parsley

Charred Radicchio

1 small head of radicchio sliced into 1 inch slices
salt and pepper
2 TBSP olive oil

Pan Sauce

drippings from steak and the thyme and garlic from the steak
1 TBSP of balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup of beef stock
1 TBSP unsalted butter
1 shallot chopped fine

Method:

Dry steaks with paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.

Chop up potatoes and put into salted water with two cloves of garlic that is smashed. Boil the potatoes and garlic together. Boil on medium high, and when the water is boiling vigorously, reduce to a simmer til potatoes are tender.

Place oil in cast iron skillet and slice mushrooms. Sprinkle salt on the mushrooms when they start to get tender. Then add butter and beef stock and thyme. Heat through and then place the mushrooms and all the liquid in a bowl to marinate the mushrooms.

In the same skillet, heat olive oil and throw in hot peppers seeds. Toast the pepper seeds up, throw in 2 cloves of smashed garlic. Sautee the garlic until golden brown and remove from pan. While the garlic is browning, clean the stalks from your swiss chard and chop the leaves into long strips. Place the cut swiss chard into the frying pan and move around a little so that it starts to wilt. Add salt and pepper and then add your beef stock. Reduce heat to low and let simmer and cook down, stirring occasionally.

Heat a nonstick pan on high heat with olive oil til just when the oil starts to slightly smoke. Place steaks into the oil and cook about 2-3 minutes until a dark crust forms. Flip the steaks and add butter, garlic and thyme. Spoon hot butter over the steaks until saturated and place in a 350 degree over for about 3-5 minutes for rare to medium rare. If you'd like longer cook, add 1 more minute for each degree of doneness. (i.e. medium, add a minute - medium well, add two).

While steaks are in the oven, drain your cooked potatoes. LEAVE THE CLOVES OF GARLIC IN!!! You are going to smash the potatoes, the garlic together. Add 2 scallions chopped, 1 stick of butter and 2-4 TBSP of heavy cream. You can add more cream if you like a creamier mashed potatoes. I use a hand masher because I like the chunky consistency. You can use an electric mixer if you wish.

Remove steaks from oven. Immediately remove from pan so that the steaks do not continue to cook on one side in the hot pan. Place on a WIRE RACK to cool. Again, this prevents over cooking on one side of the steak.

In the pan we just removed the steaks from add chopped shallot. When translucent, add the balsamic vinegar and cook out some of the acidity. Then add the beef stock. Simmer on medium high heat until it reduces down just a bit. Turn off heat and stir in the butter. Strain the sauce into a gravy boat or bowl. Reserve the thyme, garlic, shallot mixture.

Remove the cooked swiss chard to a bowl. Strain the liquid from the mushrooms into the swiss chard and mix up. Set aside.

Add the shallot, garlic and thyme mixture we reserved from the pan sauce to the steak pan. Add the mushrooms. You want to do this on medium high heat. Stir the mushrooms constantly. You will see them start to caramelize. Turn off heat and add chopped parsley for color.

****

You are now ready to plate. For plating ideas see the picture above or watch the video on The Rotund Chef's YouTube page. Any questions, please post and I will help you as best as I can.

As always, for this and other recipes, ideas and tips, visit my Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/rotundchef

No comments:

Post a Comment