Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Perfect Guacamole

Holy Guacamole!

I seriously cannot begin to properly voice my love for avocados.  I eat them right out of the skin with a spoon and salt and pepper.  I put them into salads, I eat them on sandwiches.  You name it, I'll find a way to add avocado.  

But we can't sit here and say that the number one use for avocados is NOT guacamole.  If you don't like guacamole, you are a sad, sad creature.  Guacamole may just be the dip of the Gods.  I almost channel my Aphrodite qualities while eating it.  Okay, seriously, that's not true.  And we all know I'm no Aphrodite.  God forbid.  

Anyhoo, I have become kind of famous for my guacamole.  My mom begs me for it, and she doesn't like ANYTHING I do (kidding Mom, calm down).  My friends love it, and I even once made it in a hotel room, on a desk with a butter knife and a plastic fork for all my MasterChef friends to enjoy in the lobby.  

It's so simple and easy and has such ridiculous flavor, you are gonna wonder how you ever did without it.   I do.  I wonder every day.  Every day that I'm not eating it, that is.  

You can add cilantro if you wish, but I personally don't like the flavor.  I have fooled around with my guacamole for a while, and this version is by far my favorite.  

So get to dippin' people.  Here is the Guac of all Guacs ala Rotund Chef.

Ingredients:

3 medium sized ripe avocados
1 to 1 1/2 limes, juiced
1 medium tomato chopped, seeds and juice
3 green onions chopped
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp of cumin
Salt and black pepper to taste

Method:

First thing you want to do is the open your avocado and remove the pit.  Hold the avocado vertically and make a knife cut from the top til you hit the pit, then roll your avocado vertically around the knife til it is cut through.  Twist the 2 halves against each other and split open.  Take the blade of your knife and whack it into the pit.  Twist the knife and the pit will come right out.  



Once you have halved and removed the pits from all three avocados, take a spoon and remove the flesh from the skin.  Mash the avocado to the desired consistency with a fork.


Add  your chopped green onions.  Mix.


Next, chop up your tomato into a small dice and add them to the bowl and mix.


Next, add the juice from 1 lime.  You may need to add a little more.  Always taste to see if the acidity is right for  you.


Next, add your seasonings and salt and pepper.  Again, taste!!  Adjust according to your likeness.  If you need more salt, add it.  If you like more cumin, add it.  It's all about preference.  I'm just providing you with a base.  You can take it anywhere you'd like!!  


Give one final mix and taste, taste, taste.  Again, if you like cilantro, feel free to add it.  I don't.  It's all about your preference.  

There is only one thing left to do at this point, and that's to dig in!!!  Guacamole is best enjoyed with a bag of tortilla chips, bowl in lap, while watching the latest episode of MasterChef!  :-)



TIPS!!!

Avocados are really hard to find ripe.  Most of the times they are rock hard.  So, buy your avocados the day before and place them into a brown paper bag.  The next day, they will be soft and ready to use.

Roll your limes on your counter to break down some of the pulp to get the most juice out of your limes.  If you use a juicer, well god bless you.  I don't have one.  I use my brute Italian strength.  

For this, and other recipes, visit my Facebook page and like it.  There you can see daily tips, discussions, recipe ideas and just wonderful commentary from yours truly.  

Find me at:  Rotund Chef - Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GUACAMOLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. It took me awhile to make one at home that I really liked. The cumin makes it. It really does.

      Delete