Pasta e Fagioli

"Yo cuz, stop over.  My ma made a pot of Pastancheech"

Pasta e Fagioli aka Pasta "Fazool" aka "Pastancheech"

Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a good bowl of Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and beans in Italian).  It's so good.  It's just SO good.  

My grandmom Biasiello used to make the best "pastancheech" (pasta with ceci beans) in the world.  I would eat three bowls of it, even after I ate dinner. 

See, like all Italian families, we lived on the same block as my grandparents, to be more precise, they lived across the street.  I'm not ashamed to say I'd figure out what each house was having for dinner and decide where I was eating that night.  Sometimes, if I liked both dinners, I'd eat TWICE.  But I would NEVER let my step-mother know I was ditching her dinner for my grandmother's.  Although, I'm pretty sure she knew.

So, I'd find out Grandmom was making pastancheech and I'd literally wait patiently while she grated cheese on it for me and slurp it up like it was nobody's business.  

Fortunately for me, I'd watch her make EVERYTHING and I learned how to duplicate her recipe without her ever giving me one.  She didn't have a lot of recipes, in fact no one in my family does.  We just "know".  

So here it is, unaltered and in loving memory of my Grandmom, Irene Lumina Biasiello.

My Grandpop and Grandmom Biasiello in 1979

Ingredients:

Pasta e Fagioli

3/4 lb of ditalini pasta
1 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 can of Ceci beans (garbanzo or chick peas)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 tsp peperoncini or red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
7-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
salt and pepper to taste

Garlic Crostini

few slices of DAY OLD italian bread
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2-3 fresh garlic cloves, whole and peeled
Fresh basil julienned

Italian Vinegarette

2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tsp of red wine vinegar
dash onion powder
dash garlic powder
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1 tsp of dried parsley
Kosher salt and Black pepper to taste

Method:

Grab a heavy bottomed soup or large suace pot.  Throw about 3 TBSP of EVOO in there and let it heat up.  Drop in your peperoncini and toast them up.  


Dice up 1 whole onion and chop three cloves of garlic.  Throw them in the pot with a pinch of salt to break down the onions and sautee until translucent.  



Next, open and drain the can of Ceci beans.  Add them to the pot and toast them up slightly.  Add some black pepper and salt.  




Open and dump your peeled tomatoes into a bowl, and using the immersion blender, puree the tomatoes until completely smooth.  (If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use the regular blender or even a food processor).  Add the puree to the pot.  Your flame should be on medium high heat.  



Stir, and then add enough water the pot so that just about 2-3 inches remains from the top of the pot.  I like to use hot water so the temperature of the "pastancheech" doesn't go down.  


At this point, add your basil, your bay leaf and a palm full of dried parsley.  You may also want to taste for salt at this point.  Once you have added your seasonings and tasted for salt, place a lid on the "pastancheech" and bring to a boil.



While your pasta is coming to a boil, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Slice your day old bread and lay out on your board.  Drizzle olive oil over the bread and spread it with a pastry brush.  Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the bread.  Do this to both sides.  



Place crostini DIRECTLY on the oven rack.  This ensures that you don't need to flip and that the bread gets toasty on all sides.


By this time, your "pastancheech" should have come to a boil.  At this point you want to stir in 3/4 of a pound of ditalini.  I prefer Colavita or DeCecco brand.  They are nice and startchy.  Once you have added your pasta, remove the lid, turn the heat down to medium low and let the pasta cook.  This should take about 15-20 minutes total.  Remember to stir frequently, cause the pasta will stick to the bottom.  


While your pasta is cooking, chop up some lettuce and veggies for your salad and do the vinegarette.  Don't waste time doing the vinegarette separately  just add it all to the bowl and toss together.  



Check your crostini!!  You don't want them to burn.  Oh they didn't?  Good.  

Now while they are still hot (your fingers are gonna burn, sorry), rub the crostini with a whole garlic clove.  You will literally feel the garlic melting down on to the bread.  You may need a few cloves depending on how many slices of bread you used.  Once you have rubbed the garlic on your bread, finish off with some julienned fresh basil.  Feel free to sprinkle on some cheese too.  I do.  You can never have too much cheese in your life.



At this point, your pasta should be tender and you are ready to serve!!

I like to spoon my "pastancheech" into bowls and sprinkle parmiggiano all over the top.  

Serve with your crostini and salad and you have a delicious dinner in about 30 minutes!!  Pasta e Fagioli lasts for a few days too, and it's even better the next day.  So take it into the office and make everyone jealous.  I know I do.  :-)



For this and other recipes, tips and dinner suggestions, "like" me on Facebook: Rotund Chef - Facebook  On the Facebook page, you can comment, post your own recipes, ask questions, suggest what you would like to see in the blog next, and obviously experience my witty banter and awesomeness.  

You can also check out my video blogs at:  Rotund Chef - YouTube

Hope you enjoy this recipe and make a meal out of it.  I know my son and I do.  

Deliciously yours,

The Rotund Chef

Comments

  1. Can't wait to try this out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it comes out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Can you tell us what size pot you used or approximately how much water you've added?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved watching you, Masterchef has just been on our screens here in New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this dish and the house is so warm and cozy... not to mention smells amazing! Perfect night for this dish! Thanks Krissi! ~Nicole from Kennett sq. :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING is all I can say about this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Mother made this all the time when I was growing up,still one one my favorites.Instead of using beans called in the reciepe you can use navy beans or green peas.Tastes just as good,and the kids will eat it alot better too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm dying to make this but afraid I'm gonna add too much water..... I guess I'm gonna go for it and hope for the best

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother made this all of the time as well! Love it =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This meal was fantastic and the definition of Italian comfort cooking. It was easy to put together. What makes it even better is that it's your grandma's recipe. This will probably become a classic combo in my home. Your nonna's legacy will live on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this for a chilly Friday night. It was delicious! I'm Italian and make many of my Grandmothers recipes and needed a quick pasta and beans soup and this was the one! I used cannellini beans because that is all I had. My family loved it!
    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just made this soup and my family loved it! I'm Italian and make many of my Grandmothers recipes. But I was looking for a quick pasta and bean soup and wasn't disappointed! I substituted cannellini beans because that is all I had.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts