Iron Skillet Cornbread

"You gon' eat cho cornbread??"

Iron Skillet Cornbread

I love cornbread.  I love it cold, I love it hot.  Sweet or savory style.  Its awesome.  And the best cornbread is made in a cast iron skillet.  

I absolutely love my cast iron skillet.  I can't live without it.  It's my favorite thing in my kitchen.  So, making cornbread in it, is just another way to utilize my favorite piece of kitchen equipment.  

Cornbread is simple and easy to make.  It's best when its just out of the oven, and your butter gets all melty (that's a word, I just made it up).  

There are lots of variations to cornbread.  I chose a savory version today.  I also used butter instead of bacon grease.  I'll give you the full recipe and then towards the end, I'll give you some variations.  

Cornbread!!!!

Ingredients:


3 TBSP melted butter
2 TBSP butter for skillet
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soday
2 eggs
1 cup of buttermilk

Method:

Preheat oven to 425.  Place 2 TBSP of butter in the cast iron skillet.  Put into the oven to heat the skillet up and melt the butter.  



While the butter and skillet are heating up, beat two eggs together.  Add in 3 TBSP of melted butter and whisk until frothy.  Rain in sugar.  Continue to whisk.  Add flour and mix until a thick paste forms.  




Next you want to add half of the buttermilk and mix.  Then add half of the cornmeal, mix.  Repeat until incorporated nicely.  



Add in your powder, soda and salt.  Mix until everything is incorporated.


Chop 2-3 scallions.  Separate the darker green pieces from the lighter ones.  Add the lighter ones into the batter and reserve the darker ones for topping.  



Take the skillet out of the oven and using a pastry brush, brush all over the inside of the skillet.



At this point you want to add your batter and smooth out.  There will be some butter that pushes up along the sides.  You will think it looks wrong but it's fine.  Just leave it.  



Top with chopped green onions and place in the over for about 12-15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.  Slice, top with butter and enjoy!!!  




Variations:

You can substitute the butter for bacon grease, add chopped bacon and top with cheddar cheese.  

You can add a drained can of whole kernel corn.

For a sweeter version, add 1/4 cup of sugar and sprinkle top with raw sugar before going into the oven. 
********

Feel free to do all of the above or none.  The version I made is not very sweet.  It's a more savory version.  You can add or take away sugar, but do not adjust anymore than 1/4 cup or it will alter the recipe.  

Cornbread is so versatile.  You can do it in the cast iron skillet, in a 8x8 baking dish or individual cornbreads in a greased cupcake tin.  It's up to you.  

For this and other recipes, tips, dinner ideas and witty banter, "like" me on Facebook at:  Facebook - Rotund Chef

Deliciously yours,
The Rotund Chef

Comments

Popular Posts