Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Homemade Sloppy Joes

As many of you know, I am the mother of an AMAZING now 16 year old, Mikey.  Many of you know him, have met him or saw him on MasterChef.  I couldn't ask for a better kid.  Mikey is a perfect child in every way, well, cause he's mine.  DUH.  But, I always wanted more, and sadly, thanks to Adenomyosis, Endometriosis and Stage I Uterine Cancer, I had a partial hysterectomy in 2007.  My chances of carrying another child are gone.  It was heartbreaking.  I LOVE being a mom, especially Mikey's mom.

Anyway, inasmuch as I have a perfect child, he still wants to eat crap every once in a while.  I draw the line at canned meat sauce.  Sorry kid, I'm not feeding you that slop.  BUT, I will find a better, easier way to get it in your belly......

Here is one of Mikey's FAVORITE recipes, and it couldn't be easier!!!  I sneak veggies in there too, so it's perfect for picky eaters. 

Homemade Sloppy Joes



INGREDIENTS:
1 pound 85/15 ground beef
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 carrot, shredded
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 cup any BBQ sauce (homemade or store-bought)
1 cup of any brand ketchup (I uses heinz when I don't have homeade on hand)
black pepper to taste
6 hamburger buns 

METHOD:
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Add diced green pepper, shredded carrot, onion and celery.  Sautee until softened/translucent.  Add ground beef and chop up finely while mixing with the veggies.  

Once the ground beef mixture is combined and browned, add your bbq sauce and work through over medium low heat.  Once incorporated, add your ketchup.  Mix well.  Pop a lid on your skillet or cover with tin foil if you don't have a lid big enough, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.  

Serve on hamburger buns and BOOM. The kids go NUTS over this, and I usually have to double this up because they'll eat 2 sandwiches easy.

I like to serve with some homemade oven fries and sweet white frozen corn.  

For recipes, upcoming events, or to book me, contact me on any of the following pages:





GET YOUR ASSES IN THE KITCHEN!!!!

Love,
Krissi xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment