Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Bread

I kind of hate fruit.  I don't know why, I just don't think its that great.  I'd rather eat a bag of raw green beans than an apple.  I mean, I don't NOT eat fruit.  I'm just really selective.  I like watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, grapes and bananas.  Other than that I wouldn't be sad if I never ate any of it again.

I've never really been big on sweets period.  Fruit, desserts.....I'm more of a meal chick.  I would totally sit down and eat two dinners rather than "save room" for dessert. I obviously like to dig on some good desserts, but, if given the opportunity to eat a soft pretzel or a Tastykake, I'll take a soft pretzel every time.  Other than a taste to make sure it's delicious, I don't even really eat any of my baked goods.  And I love to bake.  I know, I'm, weird.  Whatever, enough about that.  

Let's move on to more important things.  Like chocolate.  Chocolate is a sweet I WILL indulge in every now and then.  I'm actually allergic to caffeine, so I have to be careful.  However, I AM a woman and EVERY woman will sell themselves out once in a while for a bite of that dark, rich, silky deliciousness.  Don't even act like you wouldn't.  

When I was a kid growing up in South Philly, going to the water ice stand to get a soft pretzel with mustard and a water ice with the dollar my dad gave me was the norm.  Once in a while though, I used my dollar to get a frozen banana dipped in dark chocolate.  Oh my god, did I love those. In fact, chocolate and banana might be one of my favorite combinations on this planet.  So naturally, this leads to some pretty awesome creations, like my Fat Elvis cupcakes and this amazing banana bread you are about to be privy to.  

So, here it is, unaltered and in all it's glory.......



CHOCOLATE CHIP WALNUT BANANA BREAD

Ingredients:

5 TBSP softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 very ripe bananas
1 3/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2  cup shelled walnuts 
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, lightly dusted in flour

Method:

In a bowl cream together the butter and sugars.  Add egg and vanilla, mix untl incorporated.  With mixer on medium speed, start to add pieces of the ripe banana until completely incorporated.  It's ok to see some chunks.  It's not going to be a smooth batter.  

In a separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, and powder.  Mix gently with a fork to combine.  

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mix to combine.  

Add 1/2 of the cream mixture and then alternate with flour and cream, ending with flour, being careful not to overmix.  

Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips gently.  

Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour** on the middle rack of the oven.  

I like to serve my banana bread lightly dusted with powdered sugar and a nice cup of hot tea.  YUM!!

**The bananas can alter cooking times depending on size and ripeness.  So check after 45 minutes and monitor closely so your bread doesn't burn.  

For more information on Rotund Chef services such as cooking demonstrations, private chef services, catering and more, contact me on any of the following pages:

Rotund Chef - Website

Rotund Chef - Facebook

Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Facebook

Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Twitter


Comments

Popular Posts