Crispy Oven "Chips" with Caramelized Onion Dip

I absolutely LOATHE mayonnaise.  It makes me sick.  I actually have to turn away from it in the aisle in the supermarket.  I gag.  It's the devil's elixir.  Okay, overboard, but it's gross.  LOL

However, I have had to put my big girl pants on and start to taste it.  It's in A LOT of things, let's face it.  Aioli, dips, sandwiches....... Calling myself a chef, I have to try everything I put out there.  I need to know its the best it can be.

The thing that really got me over the "Get it away from me before I gag" thing was actually making my own.  I mean I always knew what was IN mayonnaise, but somehow whisking those yolks and seeing it come together really makes you appreciate it.  I don't eat it unless I absolutely HAVE to.  Let's not get excited.  I still think it's vile.  However, I will actually prepare things with it now, which is more than I can say for myself 2 years ago.

Unfortunately for me, Steve loves mayonnaise.  He likes it on his sandwiches, burgers, cheesesteaks.  Figures, I'd end up with a man who drives me crazy in ALL areas.  (Just kidding Steve, I love you).  Steve has another problem though.  Snacks and candy.  He is a junk food junkie.  I make him a beautiful lunch for work complete with whole grain bread, fresh produce, spring water and high fiber snacks and he literally stops at McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys or his beloved Wawa EVERY DAY to get candy, sugar loaded iced tea and other junk food.

So when he is home, and I can control it, I try to make him homemade snacks that are a little bit healthier and at LEAST homemade, so I know what he is shoving into his big gob.  He's also my guinea pig in some ways, because the man will eat ANYTHING, except cheesecake.  I know, who doesn't like cheesecake??  Don't get me started.

I made this recipe for him one day while he was loafing around watching football.  He loved it, and I know you will too!!

Crispy Oven "Chips" with Caramelized Onion Dip

Ingredients:

CHIPS
3-4 Russet Potatoes. sliced thinly
bowl filled with salted water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp Montreal Steak seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

DIP
2 vidalia onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp hot sauce, any variety
2 TBSP fresh chives
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Method:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Slice your potatoes super thin on a mandolin or grater.  Place potato slices immediately in salt water.

In a separate bowl, make your spice mix using the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, steak seasoning and cayenne pepper.  Set aside.

Remove potato slices from salt water and lay out on a towel and press down with paper towels until completely dry.

Place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and coat all the potato slices lightly with the oil.

Spread out on a baking sheet evenly.  (Try not to overlap the slices too much.  It will prevent them from getting crispy).  Sprinkle spice mix liberally all over the potato slices and pop in the oven for about 15-20  minutes, depending on the thickness of your slices, and your desired texture.

While the potatoes are cooking, slice your vidalia onions super thin and place in a skillet with olive oil, minced garlic and fresh thyme.  Sautee over medium heat until caramelized (usually about 10-15 minutes). Place in the freezer to cool down while you prepare the rest of your dip.

In a small bowl combine sour cream, mayonnaise, hot sauce, 1/2 of your chives and salt and pepper.  Mix thoroughly.  Take cooled onions and fold into the mixture.  Top with remaining chives.  Test for seasoning one last time.

Allow oven chips to cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy, and remember to get your asses in the kitchen!!



Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 33,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below:

Rotund Chef - Website
Rotund Chef - Facebook
Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Facebook
Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts