Firecracker Shrimp

So I have this sick talent.  It's pretty impressive actually.  I can eat my weight in shrimp.  

That's a lie.  BUT, I can peel a shrimp in under 2 seconds and eat an obscene amount of steamed shrimp.  My favorite place to get the little delicious bastards is Steamers, located on Chincoteague Island in Virginia.  My family has been going there for almost 50 years.  It's my second home.  Anyway, I'm getting off subject.  

I LOVE SHRIMP.  Broiled, grilled, fried, steamed.......

So...you get the point.  

Mikey has been begging me to make some fried shrimp and I have been putting it off.  I even tried to get out of it tonight, and he called me out on it.  Damn kids.

I didn't just want fried shrimp.  I wanted a kick to it.  I opened up the fridge and the angels started singing from the heavens and this light came down from the sky and shone right on a bottle of Frank's Red Hot.  I got weak in the knees and knew what I was going to do.  And now you will to.  Behold, the firecracker shrimp!!!!


Firecracker Shrimp

Ingredients:

2 pounds 21-25 count shrimp, deveined and peeled
1/2 cup of hot sauce, any variety (I use Frank's)
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup of AP flour
2 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Vegetable Oil, for frying

Method:

If your shrimp aren't cleaned and peeled, do that now. **  

Once your shrimp are cleaned, place them in a bowl and add the hot sauce.  Mix with your hands to coat every shrimp.  Place in the refrigerator, covered, for at least 15 minutes.  

In another bowl, add corn starch, flour, Old Bay and cayenne pepper.

In a skillet, heat about a 1/2 inch of oil to 325 degrees. 

Take the hot sauce coated shrimp and place directly in flour mixture, shaking off excess.  

Fry in batches, careful not to over cook.  Once you see a light golden color, remove them immediately.  

** You can freeze the shrimp shells to make a seafood stock at a later date.  

To get in touch with me, to book me or hire me, you can contact me below.  And, as always, GET YOUR ASSES IN THE KITCHEN!!!




Comments

  1. Oh, yum! I'll be making it this weekend, but using Sriracha & omitting the dreaded (LOL) Old Bay. I always have bags of shrimp in the freezer cuz it defrosts fast, cooks quickly & IS FUCKING DELICIOUS! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts