Apple Crisp with Mascarpone Cream

So I woke up this morning wrapped in a blanket.  My nose was like ice and my toes were cozy warm.  I actually went out and warmed my car up for 2 minutes and threw a Phillies hoodie on to take my kid to school.  Do you know what this means??  FALL IS FINALLY HERE!!!!

Anyone that knows me knows I HATE the heat.  I hate summer.  The only time I actually like summer is if I'm in a pool or the ocean, or near water fishing or crabbing.  I absolutely hate to be hot.  I don't turn my heat up past 68 in the winter, and sleep with a window open at all times.  Maybe its because I was born in the middle of a huge snowstorm in 1979.  I don't know, but I am the ice queen.  LOL

So naturally, I love fall dishes that warm the body and soul.  I like when my house is freezing cold, I have warm fuzzy socks on, old sweats, a hoodie and have a bowl of something warm and delicious like this apple crisp.  It's taken me quite a while to get the perfect apple crisp down and I think you guys will agree.  I serve mine with mascarpone cream and it is HEAVENLY!!!  So, let me send you to heaven too........via apple crisp.  

Apple Crisp with Mascarpone Cream

Prep Time:  10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Serves 8-10

Ingredients:

Apples:
5 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of orange juice

Topping:
2 sticks COLD butter
2 cups flour
1 cup oats (quick)
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar

Mascarpone Cream:
8 oz mascarpone cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9x13x2 baking dish.  Set aside.

Peel, core and slice apples.  I like to slice mine no smaller than 1/2 inch thick slices.

Place sliced apples in a bowl and toss with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  Dump apples into greased dish and pour 1/4 cup of orange juice on top of apples.

In a separate bowl, combine 2 sticks cold butter, 2 cups flour, 1 cup oats and both sugars.  Using your hands, squeeze and mix to combine all ingredients until it becomes a nice crumbly mixture.

Dump crumbly mixture directly on top of the apples, and without pressing down, spread evenly all over the apples.

Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes, until bubbly and crisp on the top.  Remove from oven and set aside.

In a small mixing bowl add mascarpone, powdered sugar, cream and vanilla.  Using a whisk attachment or a hand whisk, whip up the cream until a creamy consistency.

Top warm apple crisp with mascarpone cream and enjoy!!!



Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 

 Rotund Chef - website
Rotund Chef - Facebook
Rotund Chef - Twitter
Rotund Chef - Pinterest
Rotund Chef - Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts