Thursday, October 2, 2014

Black Forest Cupcakes

My Uncle Vernon loves Black Forest Cake.  Every time I see it or hear about it, I always think of him.  He lives in North Carolina now, and I don't get to see him much anymore.  It makes me really sad because he was such a big part of mine and my son's life.

When my beloved grandfather passed away in late 2000, Uncle Vernon stepped in and took care of my grandmother.  Anything around the house that needed fixing, driving her somewhere if her car was in the shop, making sure she was eating and taking her medicine, and mostly just going over and having a cup of coffee with her to make sure she wasn't lonely.  That meant so much to me and I love him for it.

I am always looking for fun and delicious cupcake recipes.  I love cupcakes.  They are like your own personal cake in mini form.  They look good, they taste good and they make you feel good too.  Show me a person that doesn't love a cupcake and I'll show you a person that is truly miserable.

I had some frozen black cherries in my freezer.  I wanted to use them in a different way.  BOOM, I happen to look over at the picture of my Uncle Vernon hanging on the wall and the Black Forest Cupcake became a reality.  I know you will absolutely LOVE these!!

Black Forest Cupcake

Ingredients:
CAKE:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups boiling whole milk
3/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sifted flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 bag frozen cherries, thawed
1 tsp sugar
Dark chocolate, for shavings




FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 cup heavy cream, give or take

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a cupcake tin with nonstick vegetable oil spray and place desired cupcake liners in each slot.

Bring 2 cups of whole milk and 3/4 cup of cocoa to a light boil, whisking constantly to avoid clumps from the cocoa.

In a mixing bowl add vegetable oil and sugar.  Mix until well combined.  Add eggs 1 at a time and then vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Mix gently with a fork.

Add 1/4 of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients on low speed and beat until combined.  Add 1/4 cup of the hot cocoa milk and mix until combined.  Continue to alternate, ending with flour mixture until fully combined.

Fill each cupcake tin 3/4 of the way up.  Place in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.  When toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, remove from oven and set out to cool.

Place thawed cherries into a bowl and sprinkle with a tsp of sugar and mix gently.  Set aside.

In a mixing bowl combine butter, vanilla and pinch of salt on high speed until fluffy.  Slowly add in the powdered sugar and cream little by little alternating until the frosting is a nice thick consistency.

Frost each cupcake and top with a cherry.  Spoon some cherry juice over each cupcake and top with dark chocolate shavings.  Enjoy!!!!



Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 33,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below.  

Rotund Chef - Website
Rotund Chef - Facebook
Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Facebook
Krissi Biasiello - Official MasterChef Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment