Bacon Dijon Potato Salad

Okay, I absolutely loathe mayonnaise.  It honestly makes me sick. I cant stand watching Steve slather that gross concoction all over a hoagie or cheeseburger without literally gagging. I never liked it, I will never like it and I make it a point to avoid it in my recipes at all costs.

It just doesn't work for me. I am not into the consistency. In fact, I have a problem with most white and creamy things. I can't stand sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese or, as stated, mayonnaise. It is weird though because I will eat sour cream inside a chocolate cake, or cream cheese in one of my delicious cheesecakes. And I loooove ricotta cheese. I love to eat it right out of the container. I am just a strange person. There is just no other rational explanation for it.

Anyway, when I make a potato salad, I never make it with mayonnaise. I love warm potato salads and vinegar based dressings. I love vinegar anything. When I was pregnant with my son, I used to eat cucumbers in white vinegar and would drink the vinegar like it was water. I know, I am strange.

So of course I would happen to love German potato salad with hot bacon dressing. One of my friend's husband doesn't even like me, he just likes my German potato salad. Lol. 

However, as much as I love bacon, I do get tired of the same side at every barbecue or family party. Because, I literally would rather go hungry than eat mayonnaise on anything.

Obviously, since I love vinegar so much, I love mustard. I love roasting potatoes with mustard, I love marinating pork chops in Dijon mustard. This was just another way to sneak some of my favorite things into a delicious side that I will actually eat.

It's really delicious, because it tastes good anytime of the year. I love winter and snow and freezing cold weather, but I do miss barbecue type food like burgers, corn on the cob and potato salad. Who cares if it's not summer? An indoor grill pan can give you the same effect, and anytime is a good time for potato salad.

This dressing is so easy and simple, and when it is poured over the warm potatoes, the potatoes soak up all of the flavor. It is not creamy or soupy, it is just wet enough and packed full of flavor. 
I know you guys will love it. It's also going to be served alongside my Super Bowl smorgasbord that I am throwing this year. People love it because it's different. So go ahead and try this recipe out, you won't be disappointed.

Bacon Dijon Potato Salad

Ingredients: 

6 to 7 russet potatoes, skin on, boiled until tender in salty water
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons bacon fat
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves enter 6 slices crisp bacon
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup warm water

Method:

Wash 6 or 7 russet potatoes and poke a few holes with a fork into the raw potatoes. Place in a pot with salted water, place a lid on and bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.

In a cast iron skillet, or regular medium size skillet, cook 6 slices of bacon until crispy. Allow to drain on some paper towels until ready to incorporate into the salad.  Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat and discard the remainder of the fat. (or if you're like me, you save that grease to fry up some burgers or homefries!!)

Over medium high heat, add the reserved bacon fat and diced onion to the skillet and begin to saute until onion is nice and tender. Add the white vinegar, Dijon mustard, pepper, sugar, salt and basil leaves to the onion mixture. 

Drop in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for a minute or two so that the flower does not have a raw taste. Ad a half a cup of hot water and simmer on low heat until the mixture is heated through and reduced to a nice thick dressing.

Drain the tender potatoes, and while still warm, slice into big chunks and place into a bowl. Pour the hot dressing over the warm potatoes and mix gently with a rubber spatula. When fully incorporated, crumble the 6 slices of crispy bacon into the mix and fold into the potatoes gently. 

This salad is best when served warm. Always check the seasoning before serving. Sometimes, the potatoes will soak up a little more than you anticipated, and you may have to hit it with another splash of vinegar and some salt.  Use your instincts!


Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts