Chicken Cotoletta

Everyone loves my cutlets.  Ok, that sounds vulgar.  Everyone enjoys my cutlets.....that's just as bad.  Let's start over......

Ummm, when I make chicken cutlets, people love to eat them.  There.....that sounds MUCH better.

My dad, who is my biggest critic, loves when I make chicken cutlets.  And my kid?  Forgettaboutit.  I'd have them every night if I let him pick the menu.  Cotoletta is obviously the Italian word for cutlet.  A lot of Southern Italians probably think that they brought the delicious chicken cutlet over to America.  And as much as I love my southern Italian roots, it was actually Milano where the dish has it's roots.

People constantly ask me what makes my cutlets so good.  Honestly, I don't do anything special.  I use basic stuff.  I don't know if it's the love I put in them or that my infamous "chicken cutlet pan" has some kind of voodoo cooking magic.  Maybe it't the oil blend I use?  The parmiggiano?  I'm honestly baffled.

So, as simple as this recipe is for all my Italian-American friends, I genuinely think there are a lot of people who don't know how to make a good cutlet.  My son says when he finds the girl that can make a cutlet as good as mine, is when he knows he'll have found his wife.  (Secretly, I hope that NEVER happens....yeah, I'm THAT mom....teehee).

So here is my version of the infamous chicken cutlet.  It's crispy, salty and has just a little bite.  I soak them in egg and heavy cream before breading them and they are so moist! You will love them!!

Chicken Cotoletta

Prep Time - 15 minutes
Cook Time - 10 minutes
Total Time - 25 minutes
Serves 3-4

Ingredients:

2 lbs bonesless skinless chicken breast
3 eggs
1/4 cup of heavy cream
1 cup italian style bread crumbs
1 cup freshly grated parmiggiano cheese
1/4 tsp garlic powder
6 TBSP olive oil
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 TBSP butter

Method:

Crack eggs into a bowl and add the heavy cream.  Whisk with a fork until fully incorporated.

Laying your cutlet flat, run a very sharp filet knife through the cutlet horizontally making 5 or 6 thin cutlets out of each boneless breast.  ** Don't get discouraged if this is your first time.  The trick is getting them thin enough to maintain the moist chicken base, all while getting that awesome crunch.  **

Place cutlets in egg and cream mixture.  Allow them to soak for at least 5 minutes, no more than 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, add cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic powder.  Mix gently to combine.

One cutlet at a time, remove cutlet from egg mixture and place into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly and shaking off any excess.

In a heavy bottomed skillet, heat olive oil, vegetable oil and butter over medium high heat until butter fat begins to brown  slightly.  Place breaded cutlet into hot oil and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes per side.  Do not overcrowd the pan.  I fry my cutlets in batches...its completely OK!!

Enjoy!!



Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below.  

Rotund Chef - Website
Rotund Chef - Facebook
Rotund Chef - Twitter
Rotund Chef - Pinterest
Rotund Chef - Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts