Apple Crumb Pie

So with Memorial Day and Fourth of July rapidly approaching, I can't think of anything more delicious than a good ole' American apple pie. 

Now, I'm known for a few things:

1.  Being loud
2.  Being bossy
3.  Being an insatiable bitch
4.  My apple pie

My mom is an utter control freak when it comes to holiday meals.  She just started relinquishing some duties my way.  But one thing she always lets me take care of is the apple pie. 

I usually make a French Apple pie which has a dual crust, raisins and a delicious glaze.  I'll post that recipe eventually. 

But I gotta be honest.  I really frigging hate baking.  I know I'm good at it, but I cannot stand it.  I only do it because I am a narcissist and love when people give me compliments. 

But ask my kid.  I am an angry unstable baker, cursing everything from the person I'm baking for to the ingredients.  HATE HATE HATE BAKING.  There, I said it.  And I'm not ashamed either.  Whatever.

Anyway, I'm also a perfectionist.  I don't do store bought pie crusts.  So I torture myself into more work doing something I already hate doing.  I know, I'm weird. 

The French Apple Pie has double crust, double work and double aggravation.  I just didn't FEEL like making it, so I eliminated a few steps, invented the easiest pie crust recipe ever, made a quick crumble for the top and BOOM............ the best apple pie, in MY opinion that I have EVER made.

So I'm sharing this recipe with you all now, so you can get it perfected to take to all your patriotic parties and impress everyone.  You can even lie and say you didn't get the recipe from me.  I'll forgive you.  ;-)

 Apple Crumb Pie

Serves:  8
Prep Time:  35 minutes
Bake Time:  45-60 minutes

 Ingredients:

FOR CRUST:

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup of veggie oil
3-4 TBSP ice water

FOR PIE:

2 Granny Smith Apples
2 Fiji Apples
2 Macintosh Apples
1 Golden Delicious Apple
1/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 TBSP cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
tsp of vanilla

FOR THE TOPPING:

1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick room temperature butter
cinnamon and sugar mix to sprinkle over top

Method:

Okay let's get that oven preheated to 375.

Grease a 9 inch pie crust with cooking spray or butter.  Set aside.

In a medium size bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the pie crust EXCEPT FOR THE WATER.  Mix up until everything is combined.  It will be crumbly.  Start adding in your water 1 TBSP at a time, incorporating each time until thoroughly mixed.  When it's a nice spreadable consistency and is not too sticky ball it up and drop it into your pie plate.

Push down on the crust until it covers the pie plate up.  Don't worry if it breaks, it's basically an idiot proof crust that you can repair easily.  Build the crust up the sides of the pie plate a little bit and make a fancy looking edge if you're feeling awesome. 

Poke with a fork several times and throw in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.

Peel, core and slice all of the apples into 1/4 inch slices.  (This is the worst part, I swear.)

Throw the apples, flour, sugars, spices, salt and vanilla into a bowl and toss gently until every apple slice is coated evenly. 

Toss the prepared apples into your prepared pie crust.  Heap it up, don't be afraid of the height, because the apples will cook down.  This is a hearty pie baby, so pile it on!!

In ANOTHER bowl (I didn't promise there wouldn't be dishes.....) make the crumb mixture.  Just combine everything until it looks like pebbles. 

Put ALL of the crumb topping all over the apples.  Don't worry if some falls down in between the apples, it's not going to hurt the pie.  Just keep piling it on top. 

Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar all over the top. 

Place the pie on a baking sheet and put into the preheated oven in the center rack for anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes. 

The apples should be toothpick tender and the crumb mixture should be lightly browned.  That's how you know it's ready. 

Enjoy guys!  This one is a winner! 

Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 
To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 

Rotund Chef - Facebook
Rotund Chef - Pinterest
Krissi Biasiello - Twitter
Krissi Biasiello - Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts