Mushroom & Fontina Crostini

Krissi Crostini.  That's what they call me.

Okay, no one calls me that.  BUT THEY SHOULD.  Why?  Because I am a crostini making fool.  Seriously, crostini is probably one of my favorite foods in the entire universe.

Bread, garlic, olive oil, cheese is the base for ANY good crostini in my opinion, and coincidentally, these happen to be some of my favorite ingredients.

Now I know I have spoke about the bread that I get at the Produce Junction around my way.  I think I've spoken rather passionately about it actually.  I mean, you would too.  It's THAT delicious.

I make crostini for parties, Coach bag bingo nights, Arbonne Demonstrations, snacks, and quick lunches or dinners when my kid is working or abandoning his old loser mom to go hang with his "squad".

So consider this the first recipe in a long line of crostini creations that I will occasionally post.

You will be crazy for crostini in no time.  I guarantee it, or you can return all your unwanted crostini to me.  I'll eat them.  In fact, feel free to bring me any crostini anytime, any place.

Let me shut up and get to the recipe now.

Mushroom & Fontina Crostini

Serves:  2
Prep Time:  15 minutes
Total Time:  20 minutes

 Ingredients:

4 slices of thick, crusty, day old bread
about 3-4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2-3 whole peeled garlic cloves
1 container of crimini mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
dab of butter
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 thick slices of good fontina cheese
salt and pepper, q.b.

Method:

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

Place olive oil in a small bowl, and using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on both sides of the bread.

When the oven has preheated, place the bread slices directly on the oven rack.  Toast for 1 minute and then flip and toast for another minute on the other side.

Remove the bread from the oven.  While the bread is still hot, gently rub the whole cloves of garlic on one side of each slice of bread and sprinkle lightly with a  little salt and pepper.  Set aside, but keep the oven on.  We are not done with it just yet.  ;-)

Now let's prepare our mushrooms.

With a damp cloth, wipe the mushrooms down until they are cleaned thoroughly.  (NEVER RINSE OR SOAK MUSHROOMS IN WATER!!)

Slice the mushrooms and place in a small skillet over medium high heat.  Hit with a little salt and pepper and fresh thyme.  Stir the mushrooms around for a minute or two.  Then drizzle lightly with a little olive oil (1-2 TBSP) and add the garlic.  Saute until mushrooms are nice and caramelized.

Place prepared bread on a baking sheet.  Heap the mushroom mixture on each slice and top with the sliced fontina cheese.  Hit with another dash of salt and pepper and pop back into the hot oven for about 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and bubbly.

Enjoy, and as always, get your asses in the kitchen!!

Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 
To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 

Rotund Chef - Facebook
Rotund Chef - Pinterest
Krissi Biasiello - Twitter
Krissi Biasiello - Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts