Thursday, September 8, 2016

Marinated Peppers

I know there are chefs out there who turn their nose up at green peppers.  I don't understand it.  I think they are delicious and add great flavor to certain dishes.

Growing up Italian-American, you come to appreciate peppers as well.  Delicious roasted peppers (which I have an incredible recipe for by the way - Roasted Peppers ) served with crusty Italian bread is one of my most favorite appetizers.

I am also somewhat of a vinegar junkie.  My brother Keith swears I put vinegar on everything.  Totally not true, but I did have a mustard obsession as a kid.  I literally put mustard on everything and to this day dip my french fries and potato chips in yellow mustard.  Ok, so I'm weird.

Anyway, its hot as balls outside, or has been anyway.  I am not turning the damn oven up to 450 to roast some damn peppers no matter how bad I want them.  So, I put my brain to work and have developed the most AMAZING marinated peppers.  They are soft yet crunch, packed with flavor and you will have to stop yourself from gobbling up the entire portion.

Marinated Peppers
Prep Time:  2 hours 10 minutes
Cook Time:  8 minutes
Total Time:  24 hours


Ingredients:
5 large bell peppers, any color
3 TBSP kosher salt
water
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp hot pepper seeds (optional)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
tsp black pepper corns
4 TBSP olive oil
8 cups water
2 cups red wine vinegar

Method:

Core your peppers and slice into thin strips.  Add pepper strips to a bowl and cover with cold water, just enough to cover the peppers, no more.  Add 3 TBSP of salt and mix up with your hands.  Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Drain and rinse peppers thoroughly.

In a large pot, bring to a boil 8 cups of water and 2 cups of red wine vinegar.

Add the peppers to the boiling vinegar mixture and let cook for about 8 minutes.

While peppers are cooking, combine garlic, hot pepper seeds, basil, oregano, marjoram, peppercorns and olive oil in a small bowl.

Drain hot liquid from peppers and place into a bowl.  While the peppers are hot, add the garlic mixture and toss to coat evenly.  Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight or 24 hours.  The longer the peppers marinate the more flavor.

Serve over salads, over bread or just eat them like you would a pickle.

Enjoy!

Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 
To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 

Rotund Chef - Facebook

Rotund Chef - Pinterest
Krissi Biasiello - Twitter
Krissi Biasiello - Instagram

2 comments:

  1. They sound delightful! But I'll be using yellow, red & orange ones because I'm old and green ones give me heartburn for a damn week n a half now lol. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Yes I know about your pepper issues. They kill me too but hot damn if I don't love them. LOL

    ReplyDelete