Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken

I have to be honest with you.  I was a weird child, and if you ask my mother, she will tell you I'm still weird.  She is right, but don't tell her that.

Apparently when I was about 4-6 I went through this "dirty" phase.  I thought food was dirty.  I wouldn't eat "dirty" chicken (which was just dark meat).  For years, probably until about 5 years ago, I REFUSED to eat chicken off of the bone and would only eat white meat boneless chicken.

I mean, obviously, I've smartened up and now I appreciate a good wing and thigh......

Strangely enough, now my kid doesn't like meat on the bone either.  So I tried this recipe out.  He ate it and actually gave it a thumbs up.  That was all the validation I needed to write it down and post it for all of you.

Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken

Prep Time:  10 minutes
Marinate Time:  at least 1 hour - I went all day while at work
Bake Time:  40-50 minutes

Ingredients:

FOR MARINADE:
1 whole fryer chicken, cut into pieces
zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 onion chopped
8 cloves of garlic smashed
handful of fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp of black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of white wine or chicken stock
zest and juice of 1 lemon
fresh basil for garnish
salt and pepper as needed

Method:

In a large 9 x 13 baking dish place the chicken pieces, the juice and zest of 2 lemons, onion, garlic and basil all together.  Drizzle over 1/4 cup of olive oil and work into the chicken pieces so that every piece is coated evenly.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper and hot pepper seeds if using.



Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour but no more than 8.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed frying pan, heat up 2 TBSP of butter and 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil.  Starting with the largest pieces first, sear the chicken on both sides until a golden brown crust forms.



Place chicken directly into the marinade pan (don't discard anything).

Pour wine over all of the chicken pieces, sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper and roast uncovered for about 40-50 minutes.

Remove chicken from the pan and place on a platter to rest for about 10 minutes covered lightly with foil.

Zest and juice 1 lemon over all of the chicken pieces and sprinkle with some freshly chopped basil.



I served this with my Creamy Garlic Potatoes and a fresh salad.

This dish is so easy and comforting, you will love it!

As always, get your asses in the kitchen.  Love, Krissi xoxo

Krissi Biasiello is a native of South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Cooking since she was a little girl with her large Italian family, she decided to leave her paralegal job and shoot for the stars on FOX’s cooking competition show, MasterChef.  She beat out 43,000 homecooks across America and came in 4th place.  Under the scrutiny of Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich, Krissi has made her mark in the culinary world.  She now shares her recipes with all of you!  Her rustic, homestyle take on everything will win you over and will definitely “get your asses in the kitchen”. 

To contact Krissi for appearances, in-home demonstrations, catering and more, you can find her below. 



Comments

Popular Posts